Although the majority of people keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol into their medicine cabinet, only a few of them know what it actually is and how to use it.
First of all, there are 2 types of rubbing alcohol: the first one is Isopropyl, which consists of 70% alcohol and 30% of bitter additives which make this liquid unattractive for consumption. The second is Ethyl alcohol, which consists of 97.5% denatured ethanol, meaning that is completely unsafe to drink. Rubbing alcohol has been traditionally used for the purpose of disinfection, but it has plenty of other benefits.
Take a look at the following list of 11 health benefits of rubbing alcohol which will ease your life:
- Eliminate ticks – Soak a cotton ball into the rubbing alcohol and rub it around the tick. As soon as the area is treated well, take tweezers and remove the bug.
- Soothe mosquito bites – Dab the affected body part with rubbing alcohol in order to relieve the painful itching of a mosquito bite.
- Kill bed bugs – Fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl) and spray the mattress, box springs, and headboard. Rubbing alcohol will kill the bugs on the very first contact. In order to eliminate their eggs, spray more frequently. But, ensure that the alcohol has dried well and the room is ventilated after spraying before going to bed.
- Kill fruit flies –Spray the fruit flies with rubbing alcohol and ensure afterward that your kitchen is ventilated well.
- Remove stains – Mix rubbing alcohol and water (1:2 in proportion) and pour the mixture in a spray bottle. Spray over the stains directly. It will eliminate all stains, from ink to coffee.
- Deodorize sneakers – For stinky feet, spray some rubbing alcohol in your shoes and let them stay like that during the night. Your shoes will smell fresh and good as new.
- De-garlic hands – To eliminate the smell of garlic from your hands after cooking it, pour some rubbing alcohol over your hands and then wash them with soap.
- Treat sore muscles – Massage gently your legs with rubbing alcohol to treat sore muscles. Rubbing alcohol helps with painful joints, as well.
- Sanitize hands – Make your own hand-sanitizer by mixing rubbing alcohol and aloe Vera (3:1 in proportion), instead of buying one from the markets.
- Heal cold sores – Dab some rubbing alcohol directly on the sore to heal cold sores.
- Clean eyeglasses – Spray your glasses with some rubbing alcohol and then wipe them with a soft cloth.