Sweet potatoes are rich in beta carotene which produces vitamin A. This vitamin is essential for maintaining perfect vision, bone structure as well as overall strong immune system.
Different potato colors have different health benefits. The most common potato is the yellow-orange or white-cream flesh. However the potatoes with the most antioxidants are the purple potatoes so if you see them somewhere – buy them immediately!
Reasons to Consume Sweet Potatoes:
- It is great for diabetics: Sweet potatoes contain natural sugar which regulates and stabilizes the insulin resistance as well as the blood sugar levels.
- Great for digestion – They are rich in dietary fibers which prevent colon cancer and relieve constipation.
- Prevents Emphysema: Smokers usually suffer from vitamin A deficiency and this leads to emphysema (damaged air sacs). However sweet potatoes can help the regeneration of the whole respiratory system thanks to the carotenoids they contain.
- Immune system: Vitamin D is vital for our thyroid gland, heart, bones, skin, teeth and energy levels. You can get vitamin D from sweet potatoes.
- Heart health: Thanks to their richness in potassium, sweet potatoes can help regulate blood pressure and balance electrolytes. The improve the heart function and negate the sodium impact thanks to the vitamin B6, that prevents strokes, heart attacks as well as degenerative diseases.
- Healthy muscles and tissue: Sweet potatoes can easily regulate the nerve signals from the brain and the heart beats and they help relieve muscle cramps and reduce swelling.
- Anti-oxidant: They efficiently slow down the process of aging as well as prevent breast cancer, arthritis, gout and help with asthma.
- They contain folic acid which is essential for the proper health of the fetal tissue and cell development
- Anti-Stress: Potassium regulates the water balance in the body, thus normalizing the heart beats and oxygen flow. Also, the magnesium found in the sweet potato can function as an efficient anti-stress agent.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin C, and as we know, that vitamin is essential for the proper functioning of the overall body.
- Anemia: Thanks to the iron found in the sweet potatoes, the production of red and white blood cells is increased which fight the anemia.
- Smooth skin: It is highly important that you keep the water when you boil the sweet potatoes. Use the water to clean your pores as it absorbs impurities and can soothe irritated skin spots. It also removes dark circles around your eyes, eye puffiness and wrinkles.
- Sweet potatoes can treat menstrual symptoms thanks to their richness in iron and magnesium.
- Hair quality: Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene which prevents hair damage and stimulates hair growth.
- Minerals: Sweet potatoes contain a large number of important minerals such as magnesium, calcium, manganese, potassium, iron and others which are essential for the protein, carbohydrate and metabolic processes in our body.