Jackfruit is widely recognized for its bumby, hard green skin with pale flesh and a specific texture. They are packed with versatility and vitamins and some people even consume jackfruits as an alternative for meat.
In one sentence, Jackfruit is a super nutritious fruit and it is considered the national fruit of Bangladesh.
Health benefits of Jackfruit
The jackfruit is extremely rich in fiber, vitamins C and B6, magnesium and potassium. It is also a good source of calcium, protein and iron. Only one cup of jackfruit a day will provide you with a sufficient amount of vitamin B6 and as you might already know, vitamin B isn’t very common in the vegan diet, which makes the jackfruit a perfect meat substitute.
On the other side, cancer is a serious issue with over 1 million people being diagnosed every year. Experts claim that it is one of the most-difficult-to-treat diseases that they’ve ever faced. Although it might be difficult – it is not impossible! Believe it or not, the cure for cancer lies in nature.
Jackfruit is a powerful anti-cancer fruit and in today’s article we’re going to explain the ability of jackfruit to prevent and fight cancer!
Prevention of Colon Cancer
Jackfruit comes packed with isoflavones, lignans, phytonutrients and saponins. These compounds are famous anti-cancer agents as they fight and eliminate free radicals and prevent the mutation of normal cells into cancerous or other chronic diseases.
Phytonutrients is a compound responsible for prevention of the initial stage of cancer. Jackfruit can treat stomach ulcers. Phytonutrients can also be consumed through other foods and there are more than 10,000 of phytonutrients that offer a whole variety of benefits.
Saponins have a powerful anti-cancer potential according to a study pubished back in 1995 in the Journal of Nutrition. They can prevent colon cancer as they can eliminate induce mitotic arrest in leukemia cells and even cause remission. Most importantly, saponins affect the outer layers of the cancer cells and prevent them from growing.
Isoflavones and Lignans
Both of these compounds are phytoestrogens and have been shown to significantly reduce the risk of development of endometrial cancer. Jackfruit reduces the cancer rates and lowers the chances of development of cancer in women according to a study published in 2006 in the Journal of National Cancer Institute.
Protection of Cellular DNA
Jackfruit contains antioxidants that protect the cellular DNA from free radical damage and prevents induced mutations.
Other Anti-cancer Properties of Jackfruit
- Jackfruit contains fiber and is sticky. The combination of these two properties makes the fruit an incredible colon cleanser and eliminates toxic waste from the digestive tract.
- It strengthens and boosts the immune system thanks to its richness in vitamin C and simple sugars according to many scientific studies.
Jackfruits Nutritional Value
You can implement jackfruit in your daily diet to remove the risk of colorectal cancer and aid your digestion.
Reasons to consume jackfruit often:
- A cup of jackfruit contains 155 calories (only 4 calories are fat)
- Jackfruit is low in cholesterol, saturated fats and sodium
- It contains vitamin C, A, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin and folate as well as some essential minerals, proteins and nutrients such as iron, calcium, manganese, zinc, magnesium, potassium, copper, phosphorus and selenium
- It contains simple sugars beneficial for overall health
- Just 1 cup of jackfruit contains 11% of the recommended daily dosage of fiber
- It was used in the Chinese medicine to eliminate the effects of alcohol